|This week is Mental Illness Awareness Week. Here are 5 simple but effective ways you can raise awareness and change the lives of people affected by mental illness. No need to wait until October 4. Get started today!
- GET EDUCATED.
- BE STIGMA FREE.
- Use person first language and encourage others to do the same. “He has bipolar disorder” not “He is bipolar.”
- Get your green “Stamp Out Stigma” bracelet or a “Stigma Free” temporary tattoo at the NAMI Austin office.
- Take the Stigma Free pledge.
- RAISE YOUR VOICE.
- Tell your legislators to pass mental health reform this fall. Learn more about the current 2016 budget bills here.
- Share your mental health story with others. Storytelling is a powerful way to end the stigma, and it gives others the courage to talk.
- Forward this email to friends and tell people about NAMI Austin. Many don’t know about our free programming!
- BE A FRIEND.
- Small acts of kindness show you care. A card, some flowers, a nice meal or a favorite book and your presence can be comforting and assuring. Click here for more ideas.
- Reach out to people if they seem isolated, so they know they are not alone.
- Offer to help with grocery shopping, driving, childcare or making appointments.
- SUPPORT FREE MENTAL HEALTH PROGRAMMING.
“This class overall was the single most, without a doubt, helpful and informative thing ever offered in all my years searching for answers.”