Bridges to Hope:
A Mental Health Training for
Faith Community Leaders
Because religion and spirituality often play a vital role in healing, it’s not uncommon for families and individuals experiencing mental health issues to turn to a faith leader first for help. Yet faith leaders, staff and key outreach volunteers are often lacking the information, education and resources to be the “bridge to hope” needed as people navigate serious, sometimes life-threatening, mental health issues.
What are the next training dates? Our training date for the fall is scheduled for November 7. Click here if you’d like to receive information about this training when registration opens. This training is scheduled for Tuesday, November 7 from 9:00 a.m.-noon and is hosted by Austin Presbyterian Theological Seminary.
What does the training include? This introductory 3-hour mental health training features:
- An informative overview of prevalent mental health myths and common symptoms of mental health disorders
- Simple ideas for building “bridges to hope” for your faith community
- A tool kit of community mental health resources
- A tool for developing an action plan to address the needs in your community and optional post-training support
Who should attend? This training was created specifically for leaders in the faith community. To maximize the benefits of the training, faith communities are required to send at least two faith leaders to the training. Examples of faith leaders include:
- Rabbis, imams, clergy, priests, pastors, deacons, elders
- Staff of faith communities
- Volunteer or lay leaders providing outreach and support for faith communities (such as St. Vincent dePaul, Stephen Ministry)
If I can’t attend the trainings scheduled, will there be other opportunities? NAMI Austin will be providing Bridges to Hope on a regular basis. Please click here and we’ll add you to a list which will receive regular updates on future training opportunities.
What is the cost of this training? Thanks to funding from Methodist Healthcare Ministries, there is no cost for Bridges to Hope trainings in 2017. However, we do ask that you register as space is limited.