|Depressed Cake Shop|
This May, bakeries around Austin are joining forces with NAMI Austin to “change the conversation” by featuring special Depressed Cake Shop items in celebration of Mental Health Month. Depressed Cake Shops feature specially decorated baked goods that have an element of gray to signify the gray cloud that can descend over a beautiful world when someone is struggling with mental health issues. Bright colors inside the dessert represent the hope that always continues. In addition, bakery patrons will receive free “conversation cards”which offer suggestions on how to start a conversation about mental health.
Check back often to see if your favorite bakery is helping us “change the conversation,” and join us for some our other Mental Health Month events.
What is a Depressed Cake Shop?
A movement begun in 2013, Depressed Cake Shops have popped up all over the world, sharing the message that there is hope for recovery from mental health conditions. We invite you to join us as we work to increase awareness and change the mental health conversation.
“Where there is cake, there is hope…and there is always cake.”
“All month, these bakeries will sell baked goods that are cute, funny, sad, uplifting, honest and just OK to represent the many emotions we all go through every day and to remind us that we aren’t alone in feeling them.”
– Austin American-Statesman
“Life can be gray, but it can also be bright and colorful. So we are trying to use this as an effort to start the discussion about the importance of mental health and how to recognize signs of depression.”
– Spectrum News
How to Participate
- Complete the Depressed Cake Shop interest form and submit to Christina by Thursday, April 25.
- Design one (or more) Depressed Cake Shop items to sell along with your regular offerings during the month of May.
- Baked goods should utilize a combination of gray and bright colors. Visit our gallery for examples from past participants. Display NAMI Austin’s Change the Conversation card so your patrons can learn how to talk about mental health.
- Share on social media using: #DepressedCakeShopCTX
Your business will be included in our PR and social media activities. Create additional buzz by offering a portion of the sales of Depressed Cake Shop items to support NAMI Austin’s work in the community.
Contact Christina Schneider at email@example.com.
Community Relations Coordinator